arriving on: # of nights: # of guests:

Monday, November 9, 2015

Guy Fieri's Visit to Cape Cod

Guy Sent Me!

by Charlie Preus 

Dana’s Kitchen, Falmouth, MA (Season 23, Episode 6 on September 11, 2015 "Name That Kitchen")

When we have any time off from our Cape Cod Bed and Breakfast, we look for Diners, Drive-ins and Dives recommended by Guy Fieri on his Food Network show of the same name.

I always say 'Guy sent me. I think it's funny but I am not sure what the owner’s think. Often I get a little smile as if they are thinking here is another jerk who watches too much Food Network.  Actually, I am sure all of the establishments visited by Guy Fieri are very proud of being featured on his Food Network show and most have posters and pictures prominently displayed so all new customers are made aware of the celebrity visit and the accolades they received for there culinary prowess.

We have had guests at our Inn who planned a good portion of their New England vacation around food establishments featured on Guy's show. These "foodies" selected our Inn, at the beginning of Cape Cod, to permit easy day trips to Rhode Island and Boston to punch their list of Guy’s recommended restaurants, sometimes hitting two a day. We are usually too busy and focused on our B&B to visit these close-by eateries. We have more time for this sport when we have closed for the season.

When we travel, much of our time is spent looking for the next interesting place to eat. We claim it is business related research; Jan looking of new breakfast recipes and me looking for new wine ideas. It’s tough work, but someone has to do it. As we travel off the beaten paths, we always check Guy’s website for gems he has visited.

Jan is a loyal Food Network fan year round and, even with our next road trip still months away, she recently tuned into Guy’s Triple D show to find him visiting only twenty miles away in Falmouth, MA. His first stop was the Pickle Jar on main-street in downtown Falmouth, where we have been on those rare occasions when we can sneak away for lunch. It's fun to see a place you know featured on a national TV show. His next stop was Dana’s Kitchen in North Falmouth, where we had not been.

The next Monday after seeing the show, between checkouts and check-ins, we raced down to find this local gem recommended by Guy. Although we had heard the name, we had never been there. It is off the main road on the way to Falmouth center, and took us was a few turns to locate. A local bridge was closed for repairs, which also added to our confusion and limited our approach choices. 


The small building was, as we learned, was once a Gas Station on what was then a very busy main road to Falmouth from Boston. The original overhead garage doors, now highly varnished and sparkling, are still there and add to the eclectic feeling. See Guy’s September 11, 2015 (LINK) show to appreciate the quaint setting and meet the owners Dana and Art Tillman. Art handed us the daily menu. About 20% of the offerings change daily, the other 80% contains what must be customer favorites. As the summer season has wound down, Art suggests calling ahead to make sure they are open and what the hours will be that day. He also suggests to check if they have made their famous Kale Soup and still have some left.

Enjoying the Soft Shell Crab Sandwich
On this our first visit, I played it safe and had the Soft Shell Crab Sandwich that Guy featured on his show. How could I resist when described on the menu as “Sautéed Jumbo Soft Shell Crab. Avocado, Beacon, Lettuce, Tomato and Spicy Rouille Sauce on Toasted Homemade Challa”.

 Jan had the Middle Eastern Platter with Hummus. My sandwich is always on the Menu and Jan’s choice was one of the changing 20%, both were excellent and, as we learned, all of the bread is made by Dana daily.

We had some time before closing to speak with Dana and Art about the experience of being on Guy’s show and how positive it has been for their business. We also were pleased to learn they offer an extensive catering menu for that next holiday party we are planning. Oh, did I mention the fantastic assortment of muffins, scones, etc., also baked daily. Yes, we have been back and plan to eat our way through every item on the menu.

Needless to say, we have found a new favorite foodie destination and are recommending it to all our guests. In fact, if you stay with us at our Sandwich B&B, we’ll give you the shortcut directions to see Art and Dana at Dana’ Kitchen. You can tell them Charlie and Jan sent you, at Guy Fieri's suggestion of course.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read our blog.